Monday, November 28, 2016

EC Reading Notes: Wonder Tales from Tibet

This book in particular caught my eye because I have been reading and watching documentaries on Tibet recently. It is a beautiful region in China, but it is also mysterious. It is nearly impossible for humans to live in some parts of Tibet and the animals that live there are unlike any others in the world. I am excited to read historical myths from this specific region.
In the preface, Jewett discusses how she found these stories in different pamphlets and books over the years and decided to compile them into a book. She has changed some of them so that they are appropriate for children. I like how she included this information in her preface because it not only gives a background on the stories themselves, but also the authors. Jewett created this book to teach American children the stories of distant lands that haven't been told for many years.
The stories in the book are much longer than the others I have read in this class, so I am excited to get to know the characters, unlike in the other stories. One thing that I have said before is that I don't like how myths take away the personal aspect of a story. Most of the time the authors don't even bother to include names; they write to merely tell a story. In my opinion, however, a story is nothing without names, descriptions, and details.


"Wonder Tales from Tibet" by Eleanore Myers Jewett.

No comments:

Post a Comment