Thursday, September 29, 2016

Story: The Mountain of Flowers and Fruits

The only species of talking monkeys have lived on the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits for thousands of years. Scientists label them as more advanced than normal apes, but not as advanced as human beings. Everyone who has tried to kick this species off the mountain has failed miserably, with help from the Monkey King himself. His powers made him unstoppable and he could create a tremendous army of monkeys from nothing quicker than he could snap his fingers. The newly implemented government that had political supervision over the region, which included the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits, had discovered the inhabitants of the mountain and decided they were a threat to society. They planned to wipe out the entire species, but this would be impossible with Sun Wu Kung's presence. However, something stood in the way of the monkeys' plans to save their village. Their beloved Mountain of Flowers and Fruits that the monkey species had been living on was in fact an active volcano that would erupt in a week's time.
Ape village on the side of the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits; anonymous.
Long before, the saint called "The Discerner" bestowed magic powers on the Monkey King, Sun Wu Kung, unlike any other king in the history of their existence. He had the power to transform into any creature and he could make the impossible possible by merely reciting an incantation. One thing he was specifically proud of was if he chewed on a piece of his own hair, spat it into the air and yelled "Transform yourself," a plethora of little monkeys would appear. He also used a floating cloud to get from one destination to another, "somersaulting" across the Earth in a second. "The Discerner" granted these powers to the Monkey King because he was worthy of the saint's time, unlike past kings who have begged for that gift for over thousands of years. But now, the government supervised everything that happened on the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits.
After days of fighting the humans, Sun Wu Kung fell into a trap and woke up in a government facility. He tried to make a cloud appear to get him out of the tiny cell, but nothing happened when he recited the incantation. Then, a man with a tiny American flag pinned to his suit opened the door to his cell.
"I heard you reciting an incantation. However, this vault has been designed to restrict your magic."
"What is going on? What am I doing here? I am Sun Wu Kung, the king of the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits and I demand you let me go immediately."
The man stepped closer to the Monkey King and told him about the underlying geology of the king's precious Mountain of Flowers and Fruits. He told Sun Wu Kung how the mountain was in fact a volcano that would erupt sometime in the upcoming week.
"We cannot let you and the rest of your kind live on this planet anymore. You have had your chance, but you are a danger to society. This volcano will result in something the government has been trying to accomplish for years." With that, the man in the suit left Sun Wu Kung and didn't return for what seemed like months.
Sun Wu Kung could not let the other apes die and he had to escape the facility, no matter what the cost might be. The king's favorite power that he possessed was being able to make an army of apes appear by pulling out a single hair from his head. He was unsure how this would happen since his powers were useless, but he would find a way. All he needed was to step outside of the facility even for a second to recite the incantation and swarm the building with his army of apes.
Little did the guards protecting his cell know that the king had been practicing martial arts for as long as he had been alive. He stuck his hand through the three bars in the cell door and pulled the guard up against the bars. He grabbed the keys from his belt loop and slipped out the cell before anyone else could spot him. Once Sun Wu Kung was outside of the cell, he somersaulted to the summit of the volcano.
The Monkey King once told someone, "'All the elements are subject to me, and there is no place where I cannot go.'" This was absolutely true. He pulled out a hair on his head and yelled "Transform yourself!" Seconds later, an army of apes stormed the prison where the king was kept and left no survivors. By merely reciting the specific incantation, he sealed the volcano and trapped the lava underneath.
Sun Wu Kung had saved his people once again and appreciated his powers now more than ever. The US Government made a deal to leave the sacred species alone as long as they stayed on the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits, and so they did.

Author's Note: I based this week's story off of Richard Wilhelm's "The Monkey King" from The Chinese Fairy Book. There are many different chapters that involve various characters and plots, but my story line specifically focuses on Sun Wu Kung's magic powers. The original story ends with Sun Wu Kung having so much power that he decides that he is fit to be Lord of the Heavens. Buddha cast him back to his mountain and put a giant pile of scraps to keep him there. He was released after many years and then served for eternity under a Monk who kept him on a tight leash. I included some characters from the original story and kept most of the settings the same. Sun Wu Kung lived on the side of the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits with all his children, family and friends. The name of this mountain sounds like a pleasant place to live, but I wanted to give a modern spin on the original story. The mountain wasn't a volcano in the original, but it added a sense of urgency to my story by including it. I decided to make the government the enemy and to incorporate evolution into it as well. I also made sure to incorporate a quote from the original story. "All the elements are subject to me, and there is no place where I cannot go," caught my eye immediately when I was first reading the story. It is such a powerful statement by the king and I thought it proved relevant in my rendition.

Roger Wilhelm's The Monkey King

9 comments:

  1. Bradlee,

    I haven't seen any other stories about The Chinese Fairy Book, nor did I read it myself; so I was glad to see someone did so I can learn a little about it. I agree with your decision to talk about a somewhat controversial topic in your story, it can do a lot to drum up interest in your writing. Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed it and I look forward to reading more of your work this semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bradlee, I agree with Andrew! I did not read any stories from The Chinese Fairy Book, but from the looks of your story it was very interesting! I wish I had a cloud that took me from place to place! What a creative idea. It almost reminds me of Mario Kart! Your story was very detailed and written very well. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bradlee,
    I also chose this story for my reading this week. I was honestly a bit clueless on what to do with it for my retelling, so I'm very impressed with what you did! It was super creative but also stayed true to the story and told the story well. You did a very good job here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bradlee, I feel like I've read a lot of your stories and I've enjoyed each and every one of them. This story was no exception. I thought you did a great job explaining and describing everything. His powers were funny to me. Creating monkeys is not my first choice of power, but I still thought it was humorous. Like the commenters before me, I didn't read The Chinese Fairy Book, so this was a great way to get a taste of the stories from this culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your paragraph about the Discerner was especially interesting, and you might consider using that as your opening instead. The Discerner’s title itself builds intrigue from the start, and the powers he granted the Monkey King are interesting to read about and imagine. Beyond all that, the backstory it provides would be handy to know going in, since it sets up the Monkey King as a powerful threat: it makes sense that the government would be wary of and want to control someone like that.

    As far as suggestions go, the main thing you might consider is explaining the government’s motivation a little more. The man in the suit mentions that the Monkey King’s people are a danger to society, but the story never really gets into exactly what kind of a danger they pose. Similarly, it took me a second read-through to realize that the government agent planned to let the volcano eruption wipe out the monkeys, and that that’s what he meant when he said the volcano would “result in something the government has been trying to do for years.” A little bit more elaboration on those two points would probably make for a smoother reading experience. But I love how you used a lesser-known story for this, and Sun Wu Kung is definitely an awesome king.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bradlee,

    Your story was very interesting. I liked the way that you made the story very modern with everything except the Monkey King's mountain changing around it. It almost reminded me of the movie Avatar with the conflict over what was underneath the mountain. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandlee,

    I really like this story because it was original and creative. You did a wonderful job re-telling if compared to the original. There were a lot of details in there and i think that is what made the story that much more special. One thing I think you could have added more to was the ape king's escape from the prison. You mentioned that he knew kungfu but didn't really demonstrate his abilities except for him snatching the keys from the guards. I feel like you could have done a short battle or something at that part to liven up the story and keep it interesting. Another place where I feel like there was a cliff hanger in the story was when the American agent said something about how the eruption of the volcano would accomplish something that the government had been trying to do for years. This had me very curious and it seemed like a good place to add details. Or better yet, create a follow up story about what would happen if the volcano did explode and the monkey king was stuck in jail. Despite these few critiques, the overall story was interesting and engaging. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to say, King Sun Wu Kung has some really awesome powers. Being able to shape shift, summon an army of monkeys, and travel by clouds would be so cool. The fact that he can summon the monkeys just by the hair on his head is useful but scary at the same time! I also thought the “transform yourself” line was funny. I can imagine people being confused watching some monkey say that and then really surprised when tons of monkeys appear! I liked this story quite a bit, and I agree that the quote from the original story is powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandlee,

    I think you did an excellent job retelling this story and creating a new spin from you author's note. There were a lot of references that caught my attention that were possibly intentional or not. A mixture of Avatar and of Kung-fu Panda.
    With the new additions to the story trough, I was a little confused on some things as not everything was well explained. It is definitely lengthy, but I think that there should be a bit more concise writing and explanation.

    ReplyDelete